Like Google, Yahoo provides SEO tools to allow you to “register” your site with them and do a few other things to improve your indexing within the Yahoo search engine. I had heard that Yahoo had such a facility, but when I went to locate the URL it was a bit of work to find exactly where to go and what to do. So I thought I would share that knowledge here on our SEO blog.
Yahoo’s tool set is call Site Explorer. Here’s what Yahoo says about it:
You can see which sites and subpages are indexed by Yahoo! Search, track sites that link into webpage, and view the most popular pages from any site. Use Site Explorer to:
- Find which sites and subpages are indexed by Yahoo! Search.
- Find pages that link to that site or any page. (inlinks)
- View the most popular pages from any site.
- Submit and track feeds for your sites.
You can get even more detailed information and greater ability to manage a site or its URLs when you authenticate the site. You can:
- Find what subdomains of the site known to Yahoo!.
- See other information Yahoo! detects about your site, such as language.
- Delete URLs that you don’t want indexed by Yahoo
You can read all the details about this at the Yahoo What is Site Explorer page.
As with Google and MSN you must first register and authenticate your site in order to use the optimization tools.
In order to use the Yahoo Site Explorer optimization tools you must first have a Yahoo account. Here’s the sequence of steps you need to take to start using Site Explorer (assumes you do not already have an Yahoo account):
- Register a Yahoo account (click here).
- Go to Site Explorer and log in using the Site Explorer URL.
- Once logged in, go to My Sites. Add your site using the text input box. You will now see your site in a table with columns such as Feeds and Status.
- Your next step is authentication. See below.
As with Google and MSN, Yahoo Site Explorer requires that you authenticate a site first before you can use any of the SEO tools for that site. In order to accomplish this you will need to have direct access to your production website through Dreamweaver or an FTP client or something similar.
STOP! If you don’t understand a word of the preceeding paragraph you probably won’t be able to use Yahoo Site Explorer. We here are GreatCircle Studios can help you with this and other SEO services if you wish. Call us at 877-247-0452. Otherwise, continue reading!
Now that your site has been entered into Yahoo Site Explorer, look over to the right-hand column (Status). You should see a yellow circle image here. Click on it to be taken to the authentication page. You are provided two types of authentication: uploading a file to your web server or adding a META tag to your homepage.
At this point you should be able to work out how to execute the authentication from the instructions given on this page. As I said earlier, if you need help with this give us a call at 877-247-0452.